[lug] ssh login error

Steve Webb steve at badcheese.com
Sun Jan 7 21:19:04 MST 2007

I had a similar experience on a hosted server (vmware-type situation)
where they limited the number of PTYs that I had (I was running GNU
'screen' and ran out of PTYs pretty quickly).  I asked the hosting company
to adjust the number of PTYs so I could spawn more 'screen' sessions and
it kind of went away.

I think that you can adjust the number of PTYs in the kernel config
somewhere, so if you can recompile the kernel, might want to poke around
in there a little (device drivers -> character devices -> number of legacy
PTY in use (mine's set to 256)) and I have tons of /dev/pty* and /dev/tty*
entries in my /dev dir.

- Steve

EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve