[lug] apt-get dist-upgrade errors

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Tue Jan 9 23:01:49 MST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:27:55AM +0000, D. Stimits wrote:

> >This is one place where yum really wins.  It will detect
> >that a mirror is hung and switch.  If you aren't happy
> >with that, hit Control-C once and it will kill the
> >current copy and switch to another source.

Hmm, I actually rather loath yum.  I *intensely* dislike the
fact that it automatically updates its package list before
you can do *any* action with it.  If it cannot find any
available mirror to update a set of packages, the entirety
of yum becomes useless.  apt-get separates the actions of
updating the package list and all other actions so that it
becomes irrelevant if the latest package list cannot be
obtained....or if the user cannot download the updated
package list for some reason, such as a large update on a
slow connection.

I realize this could all probably be changed in the system
configuration, but on the systems in question we are not
allowed to change config settings.

--David