[lug] Determining if Lilo or Grub is current bootloader

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 16:54:58 MST 2007

I inherited a hd that has both an /etc/lilo.conf and a
/boot/grub/grub.conf. Each is configured to boot the
same kernel.

I can tell that the system is booting from grub versus
lilo by the initial boot screen that comes up.

Is there another way to figure out which bootloader is
being used other than looking at the initial
bootscreen?  I know I can just reboot and check the
screen but I'm just curious if there is some way to
tell on an existing system without having to reboot.

I looked through all relevant logs in /var/log and
none of them seem to refer to 'grub'.  /proc/cmdline
doesn't offer any help either.  And because both grub
and lilo configs boot the same kernel and there are no
differences in with kernel parameters, I can't use
them to distinguish the boot.

I haven't tried booting lilo on this system, but I
recall that lilo may spit out "Lilo...." in the dmesg
log file.  So the absence of that line in dmesg may be
a possible logfile solution.

thanks