[lug] Post install fest ques: Fedora xen-kernel is DNS blind and sharing a printer!

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Sun Feb 25 13:13:16 MST 2007

Thanks to all who contributed to the install fest yesterday!

I have a few questions:

1.	Thanks to Kevin, I have both a xen kernel and a non-xen kernel for
fedora core 6. The non-xen kernel sees the internet fine. The xen kernel can
ping 4.2.2.2 but cannot seem to deal with domain names. I see I'm using DHCP
with the xen kernel because I see it (ifconfig) is assigned with a valid lan
address and I can ping my router. How can I fix this?
2.	When I use the fedora GUI to update my software (in the non-xen
kernel, of course, since I the xen kernel cannot resolve domain names yet),
I get an error about a conflict in the dependences for some library needed
by python-gnome. Apparently python-gnome is need by something that is out of
date but I cannot determine what module. If I wait long enough, will the
folks at fedora resolve this conflict?
3.	After finally figuring out how to print from ubuntu (what a
struggle! Thanks Dennis!) I now want to expose the printer (and some
directory shares) to windows clients. I was surprised to find instructions
describing the changes to cups but not samba.

a.	I thought sharing printers would be a function of samba and cups!
How could this be? Well, regardless, I want samba to work anyway!
b.	I used the ubuntu interface to share some directories and windows
can see it but it prompts for a username and password. I put in the correct
username and password but samba won't swallow it. I tried to use
http://127.0.0.1:901 <http://127.0.0.1:901/>  to configure some samba
username/passwords using SWAT but it is not up. Why is not SWAT running? How
do I start it? Why does not the ubuntu GUI for sharing directories correctly
configure the smb.conf file so it uses the correct usernames and passwords?
c.	Can anyone recommend a good URL that describes how to configure CUPS
so I can share this printer?

Thanks,

Siegfried