[lug] tips on upgrading a WRT54G

Brian Talley b225ccc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 11:52:48 MST 2007

I installed DD-WRT on a WRT54GL a few weeks ago.  It's been running
great.  I was also looking at OpenWRT, but it looked like it might
take a little more time to get configured - which I didn't have.

DD-WRT was forked from Sveasoft - I'm not sure how long ago.

I also found Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato/) although I
didn't try it.

The DD-WRT has pretty good firmware installation instructions on it's
wiki.  However, whenever you are flashing new firmware, you run the
risk of "bricking" the device.  It's a chance you take.  In this case,
just make sure you have a stable power connection to the router and a
stable Ethernet connection between the computer you're flashing from
and the router.

Just an FYI: I'm not sure if it's still the case, but when I installed
DD-WRT they were recommending NOT using FireFox because of some bug.

Have fun,
BST