[lug] ivtv: now what?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 5 03:54:06 MDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 07:54:46AM -0600, Steve Sullivan wrote:
>I'm trying to copy from an old analog VCR to linux disk.

FYI, I've been wanting to do this for literally years and just never found
the time to put it all together.  At one point I had gotten one of the
better video boards and mucked around with it, but it was just a pain.

Last week I ordered one of the Neuros OSD boxes and have since converted 5
or 6 VHS tapes to digital format with it.  I had it recording literally
within 15 minutes of opening the box.  I just stuck my SD card from my
camera in the device and pressed "record" on the remote.

I have just completed setting up a Samba server for it to record to, so I
can do it without the added step of copying from the memory card.

The OSD runs Linux, and while it has some rough edges (one I find most
annoying is that the on screen display is often not very responsive), for
taking a VHS tape and turning it into a digital file, I'd say it was worth
the $230 it costs, just because it didn't take much farting around to get
working.

It will also play some video files (though most of the ones I had available
it wouldn't play, including a couple recorded on my camera), and it will
play Ogg files.

Just thought I'd mention the other option.

Sean
--
 Come see the violence inherent in the system!
 Help!  Help!  I'm being repressed!  -- Monty Python and the Holy Grail