[lug] Convert swap from raid0 to raid1

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Thu Jul 26 01:42:38 MDT 2007

> swapoff, re-create the swap drive as a RAID-1, mkswap, swapon.

thanks. got it to work.

I'm confused about something though. I intially tried the following
technique to assemble the array versus (re)creating it:

# vi /etc/mdadm.conf -> change raid level to 1
# mdadm -A /dev/md2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3

that doesn't work because it pulls the raidlevel from somewhere else other
than the config file.   apparently you have to recreate the device with
madam --create to change the raidlevel.

So the question is where is that raid level metadata stored. in the
superblock?  because it ignores whatever you put in mdadm.conf.

And along the same lines, which boot scripts create the arrays and where
is the metadata it uses to create them stored.  it has to be persistent
between boots.  and i don't think it's getting it from mdadm.conf.

thanks