[lug] mysqldump versus snapshot versus..

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 2 09:51:50 MDT 2007

steve at badcheese.com wrote:

> Oh, we have Oracle Rac too, but it's a huge pain in the butt.  Want to
> buy some of our Oracle Rac licenses that we can't get rid of because
> Oracle will charge us more per license if we reduce our number of total
> licenses? :)

Heh.  That's one thing about the commercial stuff, dealing with whacky
pricing policies.

What do you find difficult about Oracle.  I'm not sure what Rac is, but
the Oracle systems I've worked on were a snap to back up.  We had the DB
on a NetApp Filer, and quiescent mode and a snapshot later, the DB was
backed up, took all of two minutes for a VERY large DB...

(Then it took all weekend to stream it off to AIT-3 tapes... uggh...
thank goodness we had a carousel.)

Nate