[lug] Postscript Printer setup

Mike Romberg mike.romberg at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 15 16:34:05 MDT 2007

     > Hi, I just installed an HP 2605dn printer on a USB port on Suse
     > 10.2.  HP claims this printer understands postcript, but it
     > doesn't work.  Yet when I hook it up to a Win XP box via USB
     > the printer works fine.

     > But when I use it from Suse via USB, no luck.  When I try to
     > print a test page from the Suse configurator the printer light
     > blinks, indicating it's receiving data, but no page is printed.
     > Similarly, when I "lp test.ps" the green light blinks, but no
     > page is printed.

     > Long ago with some previous printer I had a similar problem and
     > did something like copy ctl-L to /dev/lp to force the page
     > eject.  But there is no /dev/lp on this Linux ... why not?

     > How can I get this printer running?

  I have this exact printer.  But I'm connecting it via ethernet.  Off
the top of my head here is what I remember about getting it working:

  - Double check the tray cups uses by default.  I think tray 1 (the
    default) is the manual feed slot.  You want to change this to tray
    2.

  - Cups had a couple of option on how to talk to the printer.  This
    may be specific to using the ethernet port.  So, it might not
    apply in your case.  I never got the lpd option to work.  Had to
    set it to some name with an 'hp' in it.

  I'll check and post more about my setup after I get home tonight.

Mike