[lug] KDE/KDM/xhost auth

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 19:49:25 MDT 2007

I'm trying to allow a second login name (after su) from a kde session,
managed under kdm, fedora core 7, to display graphical tools.
Unfortunately, it's denying X access. On older distros I'd use xhost
+localhost, and then the user could login. This does not seem to be
enough in FC7. I suspect that tcp listening on port 6000 is required,
but I'm not certain. There are some nolisten arguments for tcp which
I've removed, but still port 6000 is not open...nothing at all is
listening to the socket. Despite su being local from the same physical
machine, could the lack of tcp port cause xhost to fail to allow other
su'd users to display graphical apps? Or is this entirely unnecessary?
At one point I think there was some more modern command than xhost,
considered more secure, to authorize other users...anyone here know what
that command is? I suppose I could ssh -X locally, but that seems like a
sad workaround to just su.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net