[lug] Fedora 7 w/i915GM graphics controller

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Oct 3 15:00:42 MDT 2007

Is anyone using the intel X.org driver with Fedora 7 or at least with
X.org 7.3 (or is that 1.3 - when did they switch the version number
again?).

The i810 driver (which Fedora still provides with F7) used to handle
dual head on my laptop including different resolutions for each head.
Now it just crashes.  The new intel driver (which is listed as
experimental but is the one chosen by the F7 install for my laptop) sort
of supports dual head, but I can't get it working where the laptop is
Screen 0 and the VGA output is Screen 1 (it always comes out the other
way around) with xinerama putting my desktop on Screen 0 only and with
different resolutions for both outputs.  What's worse is that the new
i810 driver (in single head mode) works fine with MythTV's frontend but
the intel driver drops frames quite heavily.  Dual head I need for
presentations at work.  MythTV I use at home (plug the laptop TV-out
into the TV and stream the backend recordings over wireless to some
place in the house).

I've already tried the stuff at
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html.  That's how I got
partial dual head working.  And I've put in a bug report to
Freedesktop.org for it but haven't heard anything.

It's a bummer this isn't working.  It worked fine (with a bit of
experiementation) with Fedora Core 5 and the older i810 driver.  Having
two screens on my laptop at home was pretty productive for me.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org