[lug] (sort of OT) Inexpensive Microcontroller boards

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Oct 12 18:11:17 MDT 2007

Carl Wagner wrote:
> Here is the link to SparkFun Electronics we discussed last night.
>   http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php
>
> I have played just a little bit the the AVR series of boards.
>
> There is a Linux toolchain to program them. (this is how it is Linux
> related)
>  http://paul.graysonfamily.org/thoughts/avrlinux/
> was the first hit I got in a Google search for "Linux AVR"
>
> Carl.

Sounds like I might have missed some microcontroller "fun" at the meeting.

The Microchip PIC line (some of them) also enjoy decent Linux support.

Here's just a jumble of links -- not organized, but tons of info here.

http://www.micahcarrick.com/04-19-2005/pic-programming-linux.html
http://www.micahcarrick.com/04-25-2005/pic-c-programming-linux.html
http://gputils.sourceforge.net/
http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/
http://www.piclist.com/techref/member/xiaofan-sg-/index.htm
http://noel.feld.cvut.cz/dspic/
gnupic: http://www.gnupic.org
gputils: http://gputils.sourceforge.net/
gpsim: http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpsim.html
SDCC http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/
pikdev: http://pikdev.free.fr/
piklab: http://piklab.sourceforge.net/
ktechlab: http://ktechlab.org/
picp and pk2: http://home.pacbell.net/theposts/picmicro/
xwisp2 and OS/2 PIC development: http://www.robh.nl/picsoft.php
pickit-devel: http://groups.google.com/group/pickit-devel
MPLAB tools under Wine: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=112347
Mac OS PIC development:http://www.1710.co.uk/picosx/
FreeBSD PIC development:
http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?:sss:5270:200601:kglnklnekdmkohaepfni#b

LOL... I'll stop now.  Microcontrollers are great toys... there aren't
enough hours in the day for me to have tried out even half of the above.
  And I still have a Windows-based machine with the PIC development
stuff too... (Somewhat outdated, I need to update, but I haven't written
any microcontroller code in a while now, been WAY too busy...)

Nate