[lug] Anyone Using OpenNMS?

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Oct 16 11:38:57 MDT 2007

I'm toying around with the idea of using OpenNMS
(http://www.opennms.org/) and would like to get some feedback before
taking the plunge.

Right now, I'm using a Windows based Network monitoring App to monitor
servers and services for up time, along with MRTG to monitor network
utilization. It's working OK, but I would like to up the quality of what
I'm doing and add some SNMP monitoring.

Things I would like to monitor are the standard things like CPU
utilization, Network Utilization, Disk Space, along with some
non-standard things like JVM parameters (thread counts, memory usage,
etc). I also see that OpenNMS does JMX, so that would let me monitor
parameters operating inside the application server (tomcat).

Is anyone using OpenNMS for this kind of stuff? Does it work, and can I
get it configured the way I would like in a reasonable amount of time
(say 30 hours)?

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.