[lug] CPU comparisons

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 17:50:04 MDT 2007

Someone else more versed on the subject could comment
on this better than I.  But part of the reason has to
do with that some OS's are 32 bit versus 64 bit.  And
I think it partially has to do with the architecture
of the system as well.

Some OS's get around the RAM limitations by using some
kind of mapped memory scheme that must page in memory
above the boundary.

Others can post the gory details.

You'll obviously get better performance and probably
less headaches if your OS / architecture natively
support more memory rather than relying on "schemes"
to make it "appear" real.