[lug] CPU comparisons

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Oct 29 15:49:48 MDT 2007

Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 15:13 -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>> Zan Lynx wrote:
>
>>> So who cares?  If you get cheaper rack mount rails somewhere else, buy
>>> one of those cases with rails, break the components out of the Dell and
>>> go to town.
>> I care. I want to know the real price with no hidden surprises. I have
>> this thing about feeling like people are trying to mislead me. Silly I
>> guess.
>
> This makes zero sense.  Dell isn't misleading you.  It isn't like you
> order it up and they suddenly change the price.  Well, unless you forget
> that you needed rails and then find out they're $250 afterwards.
>
> In the following hypothetical situation with made up numbers:
> Company A sells a server for $900 and rails for $250.
> Company B sells a server for $1200 and rails for $50.
>
> I cannot *believe* that you would willingly buy Company B's server just
> because they have a "real" price for a rail kit.

Believe it. I would spend 8.7% more to deal with a company that think is
more honest.

If someone is trying to mislead me on the price, then I have to ask
myself in what other ways are they going to mislead me? The warranty?
The on-site repair policy? The quality of the goods?

If someone is dishonest in one way, they will be dishonest in others.
It's just a fact of life.

One of the lessons that I taught my daughter is that if a person will
screw someone else over, you shouldn't have anything to do with them.
After all, if they screwed someone else over, why do you think they
won't screw you over?

Note that I didn't quote an obscure moral, religious, or ethical reason
to not do business with that person. It's as practical as life gets.
Don't deal with dishonest people because, duh, they're dishonest.

Deal with who you want, but don't expect sympathy when someone cheats you.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.