[lug] Daily system crash....

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Feb 6 10:29:54 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:21 -0700, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 11:59 AM, David Morris <lists at morris-clan.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have a null modem cable handy, and another Linux box nearby,
> > > you can set up Linux to output kernel log messages (hopefully
> > > including messages indicating the fatal error) over the serial port.
> > > This HOWTO will tell you what you need to know:
>
> No need for a null modem cable.  Just have syslog log to another
> machine on your network.  That can even go over the wan, though I'd
> just to it to another machine, assuming you have one handy.

syslog will not work during a kernel crash.  During a real crash, not a
recoverable Ooops, userspace tasks like syslog do not run.

You need a VGA or FB console, a serial console or netconsole, all of
which have support for polled, no-interrupt, no-DMA output to be used
during a crash.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>