[lug] Library locations

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Feb 6 16:54:16 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 16:32 -0700, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> It includes a shared library, which I eventually need to install on
> target machines.  Off-hand, I'd have guessed it should go
> into /usr/local/lib, or maybe /usr/share/lib.  Still, every rpm or
> Debian package installed on the boxes I have at hand installs
> libraries right into /usr/lib, which makes me suspect I'm probably
> wrong.

It's been awhile since I've looked at this stuff, but I believe the
correct process is to install your commercial package under /opt
(/opt/pkgname/lib for your library) and then symlink your library
under /usr/lib so ld.so can pick it up.  Alternatively, you can
edit /etc/ld.so.conf during install to append your /opt/pkgname/lib
directory and then rerun ldconfig as root.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org