[lug] Request/bug tracking systems--suggestions for small team

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Feb 16 01:48:47 MST 2008

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I know subversion is quite popular and I'm sure it's quite stable, but
> when I tried it I found it far too difficult to secure compared to the

Wait, what?  You know you can use it over SSH just like CVS?  Add a group for
the version control users on the server, create the repo, and chgrp the
repository, mode g+w for files and g+ws for the directories.  Then just "svn
co svn+ssh://servername/var/svn/reponame/" to check it out using SSH.

This was, once they switched from the bsddb backend to fsfs, one of the
primary reasons I switched to SVN.  It closely matches CVS, which I'm happy
with, but has lots of good additional features.

You don't have to set up any of the fancy mod_svn mechanisms, you can just use
SSH for access which is pretty secure.  Do you not want user accounts on the
version control server, or...?

Sean