[lug] LVM on RAID on Ubuntu

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Mar 10 12:54:51 MDT 2008

durist at frii.com wrote:
 > 1) Can I put /boot and swap on LVM?

Put boot on it's own RAID-1 set, and then everything else on LVM.

 > 2) For swap, is there a significant performance penalty?

Once you're using swap, you're already in a one thousand fold performance
loss, so do you really care?

 > 3) Can I use grub, or do I have to use lilo? Is there any special
 > configuration I need to do?

The installer should take care of it.

 > 4) Any special installation caveats or quirks of the Ubuntu installer I need
 > to know about?

I don't recall.

Realize that LVM for everything but boot is pretty common these days,
Fedora has used that as it's default partition layout for quite a long
time.  I'm running swap+root on LVM on my laptop and it works fine.  Have
been for years.

Sean