[lug] Upgrading PHP without upgrading OS

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Apr 16 17:20:53 MDT 2008

gordongoldin at aim.com wrote:
>  I have a FC3 machine which can't have the OS upgraded - old software compatibility,etc.

I hate it when that happens.  Usually means I'm stuck in proprietary
software hell.  Luckily it doesn't happen to me that often.

> But I want to put PHP 5.2 on it - currently 4.3
> yum just leaves it at 4.3 and says there are no updates.

Bet there's no PHP 5+ in the FC3 repository.

> What's the best way to update to 5.2?
>
> Am I going to create a mess of unmatched libraries?

Probably PHP 5.2 hasn't been built "officially" on a FC3 system and
perhaps there's no backports repository for it.  I doubt you can use a
current package (compiler and library dependencies) but you could look
at the 5.2 depends list for clues.

So I'd say get the source RPM and build your own package against your
system.  You may still run into issues if you don't have the right
build-depends.

I hope you aren't hiding the cost of using unsupported software from
someone.

Dave