[lug] Time sync w/GPS or radio

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu May 8 10:52:52 MDT 2008

I just wanted to make sure you covered the obvious first. :-)

Have you considered using a NTP server disciplined by a synchronization
signal from a consumer-grade GPS unit?  You would need to check the NTP
documentation for details, but I would be surprised if you couldn't use
one of those ~$100 units designed for use with laptops.  IIRC the server
is primarily synced to its own internal clock or a small network of
peered servers, and the GPS signal is used to make millisecond-scale
corrections.

This might not be enough to give you a valid -legal- time, but it should
get you the accurate time.