[lug] audio questions

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Fri May 9 15:09:02 MDT 2008

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> Nathan Berry wrote:
>> The reason I have ripped my CD collection is that I run an MP3 server
>> on my
>> LINUX box.  I can listen to my music from anywhere I have internet
>> access.
>> I have also converted my LPs to CDs and then ripped them as well ( I have
>> over 1000).  So my music collection is pretty good sized.  It is nice to
>> have my entire collection available to me when I am at work.  Just my two
>> cents.
>
> i'd like access to that collection ;-)
>
> how do you access the files remotely?  do you tunnel into that server or
> is it wide open?  what software do you use to navigate and access the
> files remotely? i'm thinking straight http directory listings would be
> rather inconvenient though simple to implement.

Cool thread so far...

I also have remote access to my collection.  I run the open source
Squeezecenter server (was Slimserver, pre-Logitech) and an ssh server on
the Linux box that hosts my mp3 collection.  I can establish an ssh
connection to this server and use ssh port forwarding to connect remotely.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DebianPackage

The assumption with Squeezecenter is that the music collection has
already been properly tagged, but Squeezecenter can do a fair job of
guessing based on filenames.  There is no built-in tag editing
functionality.  It essentially scans the collection and uses MySQL to
store the catalog.

Another nice Slimcenter feature is on-demand transcoding.  Say your
collection contains flac sources.  You can configure your remote player
to be 128kbps max bit-rate.  When you play music, Slimcenter will then
perform on-the-fly transcoding to mp3, assuming your server's CPU is up
to the task.

Here is the basic incantation for a remote client (where I want to listen):

1) ssh -L 9000:localhost:9000 server_ip_address

2) vlc http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3  (or your favorite player)

3) connect a web browser to http://localhost:9000 then select and play
some music

Enhancements to this basic scheme might include:

- Use something like gstm to manage the SSH tunnel under Gnome,
replacing step #1.  Consider key-based authentication, and perhaps
ssh-agent to cache your key.

- If you additionally forward port 3483 across the tunnel, you can use a
squeezebox emulator (ie SoftSqueeze) instead of vlc in step #2.  This
enables multiple autonomous players (zones) and other nice features.

- Consider buying a Squeezebox for home.  I use one in my living room
and really like it.