[lug] Lots o' email bounces

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Fri Jun 27 10:59:07 MDT 2008

The things we do, to combat spam are:

1) Require fully qualified HELO. This drops around 50%.
2) Use the SpamHaus RBL. This drops something like 40-45%.
3) Use SPF. This drops a couple of percent, but it keeps are domain from
getting used quite so much.
4) Use bogofilter for the balance.

Between these three things, 98-99% of inbound spam never makes it in. I
see maybe 5-10 spam messages a day. The HELO thing has never personally
caused a problem for me. I had a client that it caused a small problem
for, but when I explained how effective it was, they told the other
party to fix their mail server.

John Hernandez wrote:
> karl horlen wrote:
>> However, SPF only works on those receiving email servers that
>> implement it meaning it's only foolproof at some percentage less than
>> 100% for the bounce problem mentioned here.
>
> True, but in practice it can make a huge difference in the volume of
> bounces, because the SPF-protected domain will be MUCH less attractive
> to skilled spammers in the first place.  They usually move on to softer
> targets.
>
> -John

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.