[lug] Broadband in Eastern/Rural Boulder County?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jul 16 11:14:49 MDT 2008

Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Looks like we are left with Sprint Mobile Broadband, 3G, so nice and fast,
> $70/month, so not too expensive, but with a 5GB/month transfer limit, okay
> for web surfing and email. The tricky part is that I need to share such a
> link with multiple computers in the house. Looks like the Sierra Wireless
> USB dongles have Linux drivers, so I should be able to whip up a Linux box
> firewall/router. Anyone have any experience in sharing a cellular
> connection with a network? Any recommended hardware? Thanks!

There are little routers out there (relatively cheap) that you put an
EVDO Rev A (Sprint's high speed cellular is EVDO) card into and then
they then distribute to PCs in the area via 802.11 b/g(/n?).

The thing to look out for is that all the cellular carriers have some
pretty heavy language in their "acceptable use" clauses about amount of
bandwidth allowed.

Whether or not they're enforcing the rules seems to be a crap shoot.
Some are worse than others.

I wouldn't set your parents up with their own bittorrent server.  :-)

Nate