[lug] cell phones with linux

Matthew Beldyk matt at beldyk.org
Wed Jul 16 09:42:36 MDT 2008

You can download ringtones and games over most phones internet
connections; unfortunately most places charge pretty high prices for a
ringtone or game, but if you can connect your phone to your computer
you can copy over mp3s, themes, and games.  My current phone (the one
that has discovered the joy of randomly rebooting) runs java, so I can
write whatever I want and toss it on the phone (I have a internetless
win98 machine that I use for this).

My largest concern is being able to back up my contacts for the
inevitable "phone fell in the wood chipper" moment.  I also have a
camera on the phone, so I back up those photos too.

-Matt

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Louis Miller <veganguy at canadaseek.com> wrote:
> hey folks,
>
> Is compatibility with Linux a concern if you get an internet or smart phone, or for any type of cellphone? I didn't think to ask this question. I got a cellphone at Costco, recently, but I wasn't making enough calls, so I returned it to the store and cancelled during the 14-day cancellation period. I thought the user just downloaded ringtones and games or whatever through the cellphone itself.
>
> Louis

Calvin: Know what I pray for?
Hobbes: What?
Calvin: The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept
what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.