[lug] Red Hat 5 definitive package list

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:49:19 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:

> My mileage varied. There's a recent openldap security update which I've
> applied to one of our ldap slaves (which was installed as 5.1 and has had
> security patches applied) and I am still using it to authenticate my
> workstation each day.  My workstation is a recently loaded 5.2 machine.
>
> I have seen the traffic on the rhel5 list complaining about various nss_ldap
> problems.  However, I did find that starting nscd seemed to fix the issue
> for us.  I also had to update /etc/ldap.conf to include dbus on the list of
>  nss_initgroups_ignoreusers.  Otherwise, it's been working okay for us.

I did not work at all for us - even with nscd. Part of our problem may
be the fact that we're not at an absolutely current level of openldap
on our ldap servers. In any case, it works for us as long as we avoid
the nss_ldap update for the client machines. Not especially critical,
since most of our deployed base (servers and workstations) is RHEL4.

> Do you have more specifics on this bug?

Not really, but I heard reports that a lot of CentOS5 sites were
holding back on 5.2. In our case, an RHEL5.2 workstation is unable to
login using ldap. I'll pass the dbus hint along to my associate who
has been working with this.

--
Collins Richey