[lug] Looking for a laptop...

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Oct 24 07:34:40 MDT 2008

I just bought a system from Dell Financial Services -- they refurbish
laptops coming back from leases and sell them.  There's a 100 day
warranty, plus whatever is left on the original manufacturer's
warranty.  It's not expensive either -- I'm using a system identical to
my system at work (2 GHz, 2 GB, 80 GB) and it only cost $450.  The main
trick is watching for discount codes on consumerist.com -- there's
usually a 25% discount once or twice a month.

You'll have to put in your own HD, if you need a 250 GB drive.

Overall I think it's a nice balance between risk and cost.  Craigslist
might be cheaper, but you won't have any warranty.  The system may die
in 100 days, but even if it does you could replace for less than the
cost of a single new laptop.