[lug] Groupware recommendations?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 4 22:32:43 MST 2008

Ben wrote:

> Any recommendations?

I haven't found one I like yet, to be honest.

My employer's using MS Sharepoint, which is boring, but works as file
storage/publication, I guess.

I question groupware a bit in general.  I see the use of audio/video
conferencing (but of course, I work in that industry -- disclaimer) and
I get desktop sharing as useful...

But I haven't seen groupware used to any real success for any other than
very far flung people who do NOT want to talk to each other.

In most jobs, the audio and video are important for normal human
interaction, even if the people aren't in the same location.

Sysadmins and developers sometimes make good use of wiki software for
storing info, but the "suite" type groupware is overbearing and people
resist using it.

They already have contact lists, desktop sharing, file sharing, a
phone/webcam, and trying to put all of that into one application that
does NOT integrate with their existing ones, often meets with
resistance.  I haven't seen one that really integrates well, even
Sharepoint is a kludge when used with Office 2003... no clue if they did
a better job with 2007.

Before spending a lot of time and resources on it, ask yourself if
standalone simple applications and a phone would work just as
effectively.  If you can't find a pressing need for a particular feature
in a groupware application -- then there isn't one.  Skip it.

Nate