[lug] Was Linux on Intel Atom / Question about Drivers

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Apr 11 21:08:23 MDT 2009

Stephen Queen wrote:
>> into a few problems trying to load CentOS 5.3 on it because the network card
>
> I see people saying things like this a lot. It always makes me curious
> why they just don't recompile the kernel with the driver they want
> enabled as a module?

Because it's a pain to do.  Not just the initial compile, but you are also
(whether or not you realize it) recommending switching to the latest
upstream kernel.  Which may or may not have the driver you're looking for,
BTW.

But going to the latest kernel, even if it doesn't cause compatibility
issues with other software you have configured (like when we moved to
udev or the like) means that now you have to check for and rebuild all the
new kernels that come out fixing issues in the one you have.

So, to do it right can actually be a fairly big job in the long run.  The
same applies for any time you take the stick and use a non-distributed
package.

But, I think your question was trying to go down the path of "why did the
distro remove this driver from the kernel?"  They don't, the kernel,
especially on an enterprise release like CentOS is not going to have all
the latest drivers in it -- CentOS 5 currently has kernel version 2.6.18
(with various fixes/updates selectively forward-ported to it).  But even
the latest kernel from Linus doesn't have all the drives for all the latest
hardware in it.

Sean