[lug] VoIP: T-Mobile @Home

Dallas Masters dallas.masters at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:22:30 MDT 2009

I have used Sun Rocket, Inphonex and Lingo (current) over my Qwest DSL. Call
quality varies.  Regarding 911, you need to check that the address is really
working.  I had issues getting mine to be recognized correctly.  Since 911
calls in my area (Nederland) are routed to Boulder County Dispatch, I called
them and asked what they thought my address really should be.  Then I made sure
that is what I fed to the VOIP provider.  Finally, I called 911 and immediately
told them it was a check call to make sure I had 911 connectivity to the proper
dispatch office (supposedly fine, but I think there needs to be a better system
in place).  I was happy when Boulder County Dispatch answered the 911 call.

Another consideration: I believe Qwest DSL is battery backed up just like
regular POTS.  If you have long enough battery backup to power your home VOIP,
power outages may not be that big of a deal.  Other providers may do the same.

Dallas