[lug] OT: Colocation Providers

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 18 00:28:49 MDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On 08/17/2009 06:09 PM, George Sexton wrote:
>> nightmare. Their Linux version is 5 years old, the JVM is the GNU
>> one, which
>> is a joke; the RAM situation is squirrelly. Support is useless.
>> They use
>
> That's not always the situation...  For example, our virtuals mostly
> run
> CentOS 5 or Ubuntu LTS, which are the current enterprise releases,
> and none
> of them have cpanel.  :-)  Amazon EC2 you seem to be able to upload
> pretty
> much any OS image you want...

Yeah, I'd throw out here that there are good and bad virtual hosts...
if you're trying to stay up on the bleeding edge with software.
(Sometimes that is NOT the goal... if all you need is a website, and
you're not installing the latest Mountain Dew basement-tweaker's
software, it's not)...

But if you want "up to date" virtuals that are also stable, EVERYTHING
I've ever seen from tummy.com (Sean's place) says they KNOW how to get
you right up to the edge between leading edge and bleeding edge, and
keep you there... if that's what you want.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com