[lug] Server slowing network

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Sep 4 16:25:12 MDT 2009

Gordon Golding wrote:
>   We have a server with a single static connection to the network.
>
> Every once in awhile, the network bogs down.  Unplugging and replugging
> the ethernet cable on the server stops it.
>
> Installed wireshark sniffer on a local Micro**** PC ( go ahead, beat me
> up...  )
>
> When the slowdown happened,  network traffic didn't really increase...
> Either specifically from this machine or in general.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Is it possible that a bad ether card is dumping sludge on the network
> that a sniffer wouldn't pick up?

Are you using a managed switch? If so, check the statistics on the port
the server is on. Lots of errors would be sludge.

Or, if it is a fancy switch it might have flood/antivirus protection. A
friend ran into this with an HP switch that kept throttling a network
segment.

Or, the network cable might be bad somehow, and the card or switch is
renegotiating the link down to a lower speed or to half-duplex. You
could try force-setting the link speed and duplex on both card and
switch to avoid that.

--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."