[lug] Yum newer version packages on old CENTOS

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:36:03 MST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Gordon Golding <gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:

> I really want to use yum, rather than just have programmers randomly
> installing rpms in their home directories, or wherever.
> Doesn't CentOS have the repos for yum for things like gcc 4, php 5, etc...
> Shouldn't I be able to force an install of the newer CENTOS packages using
> yum?

CentOS is designed to mimic the underlying RH release almost
identically, with the exception of kernels that exploit certain
features. The design criteria is "only critical fixes, almost never
new functionality" during the life of the release. So, you're out of
luck with either distro if you need something new and shiny.

What I'm doing is to install CentOS/RH5 without any of the
apache/php/mysql thingies, then install a newer version of those
products. The mysql community edition installs as rpms, but I compile
the others from source to /usr/local/... and make the necessary
adjustments for running them. Even that approach won't get you to the
latest PHP version - too many dependencies on other newer packages
that aren't available on the oldie/mouldy RH stuff.

If open source developers (and the kernel) didn't love to reinvent the
wheel and change the APIs whenever they feel the need, this would be a
lot easier.

--
Collins Richey