[lug] boot eSata

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Nov 28 22:03:33 MST 2009

On 11/28/2009 03:11 PM, karl horlen wrote:
> wondered if the connectors would get bent or something when you were
> removing and reinstalling the drives over time. but i guess from your

Probably not, they're designed for that use.  We had a handful for our
testing rig back when we were doing KRUD, because we would go through a
variety of testing on different flavors, so we wanted to be able to boot
different OSes.  They worked fine

Now, back to your question about eSATA: IMHO it has a rather fatal flaw...
The connector and port is not at all robust...  Even despite my best
efforts to tie the eSATA cables to other more robustly connected cables
(like the Ethernet), I finally gave up on one of my systems with external
eSATA drives because I kept losing data.

If you really want to do this, why not do it via USB?  It has a much better
connector, it'll handle the transfer rate of everything smaller than 1TB,
and then only at full sequential transfer speed -- throw some seeks in
there and you're fine.

Best yet, your hardware probably already supports USB booting, and the
drive enclosures are *CHEAP*.

As far as virtualization, I'd probably be looking at KVM, but for my nephew
over Thanksgiving I did have him install Virtualbox on his Windows machine
so he could try out Linux.

Sean