[lug] Creating digital video

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 3 19:51:21 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 18:44 -0700, Steve Sullivan wrote:
> I have a DVD created from a tape-to-dvd machine - how
> do I convert the files to some standard Linux video
> format?

Xine and others can read DVD ISO files so you could just rip the DVD to
an ISO file using brasero or similar.  Barring that you can rip to an
AVI or other formats using AcidRip or DVD::RIP.

> Also, I have a series of PNG files - what is the best way to
> convert them to a standard Linux video format?

Not sure but I just read about OpenShot which I think will allow you to
import PNGs into a video with transitions that you can then export or
save.  I haven't used this much yet but I already like it better than
any other Linux video editor.
http://www.openshotvideo.com/

--
Michael J. Hammel