[lug] Letting folks pay from the web.

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Feb 2 15:01:27 MST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> I've noticed businesses seem to have gotten lax about checking signature
> on the back, via a photo ID again lately anyway.  I think my card has
> been checked about 1 time out of 10 for the last 20 times I've used it.

Economics, same reason why it's now common to be have the signature waived
entirely on small purchases of $25-50.  It's cheaper to eat the occasional
loss on "card present" purchases than it is to verify or even require a
signature.  You don't see that much in a gas station but something like
Target might need an extra cashier to keep the lines from getting too long.