[lug] May 2010 Meeting Links

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri May 14 01:28:41 MDT 2010

Here are some of the links to things that were discussed on Thursday
night:

Boulder Community Computers http://www.bococo.org/
	Some of us who attended a local Ubuntu release party heard one of the
founders speak and think it's a good thing - consider looking into it
further and volunteering!

DigiKam http://www.digikam.org/
	This should be available in the repositories of your favorite Linux
distribution.

Hugin http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
	is a tool for doing both HDR (high dynamic range) and panoramic
stitching to photographs.  One of the patented auto-stitching libraries
was in my Fedora/rpm-fusion repository so I'll see if I can't use my own
photo stock to produce some samples of this in the next few days.

Picasa for Linux http://picasa.google.com/linux/
	Enjoy it while you can.  This is a Windows modified by Google to run
under Wine on Linux.  Unfortunately, it looks like this project will
stop at version 3 due to lack of interest from the Linux community.

Glenn Randall http://www.glennrandall.com/id124.html
This is the local photographer whose amazing HDR panorama is on display
at Art Mart on Pearl St.  A picture of the Windom peak sunrise shot I am
so impressed with is on this page, but if you have a chance to see it in
person I believe you will see photographic technical excellence and
superb example of what HDR photography can do well.

Cheers,

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration