[lug] Breaking braking?

Carl Wagner carl.wagner at verbalworld.com
Wed Jul 14 09:36:25 MDT 2010

Something I have wondered about since the Audi issue:
Can't most, if not all, automotive brakes overcome engine acceleration?

If that is the case, then unless the brakes failed, I don't know how the
'cars' could cause the accidents.

And why don't the people have the presence of mind to:
  1) shift into nutral
  2) turn the key off
  3) apply the ebrake

Reading the article, I think all cars should have black boxes, with
battery backup, and on impact they write all data to flash.  And run Linux!!
Not government mandated - but for the car makers to CYA, in our
litigious society.
It might add 50 cents to the price if a car, if it was integrated into
the ECM.  (this is a guess, but micro controllers and flash are cheap,
and auto manufacturers use massive quantities so they would get the best
prices).

Note: I am normally against thinks like this as it can lead to invasion
of privacy, but if people can blame car crashes on the manufacturer, the
manufacturer needs some way to respond.

Isn't it nice how congress grilled Toyota BEFORE the NHTSA report was
released!

Carl.