[lug] usb question

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:32:46 MDT 2010

> Explore and experiment with /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf
>
> It looks like your USB system is finding the device fine, and the
> sane-find-scanner command is as well, but the sane system itself is not
> configured to find it with normal sane commands.  If it doesn't work
> automatically, you might try manually configuring it with the output you
> identifed above.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. That didn't help (note see below), but
raised a related USB question.

In the comments, that file says:

# device libusb:bbb:ddd
# where bbb is the busnumber and ddd the device number
# make sure that your user has access to /proc/bus/usb/bbb/dd

My /proc/bus/usb is empty, despite having this scanner (somehow
working with a different program, see my previous message), an usb
mouse, a PS2 (!) keyboard and a usb drive. Everything but the scanner
is working fine (for the record - this is a laptop on a docking
station, but I get the same result when undocked). The directory is
empy even if I reboot the machine with the stuff attached and on (I
was thinking of BIOS issue, with the reboot).

So I'm wondering if sane needs a different usb "setup"
(/proc/bus/usb/) than the one my laptop is using.

Any other hint?

Thanks,
Davide

note:

1) sane-find-scanner outputs
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a7 [Visioneer Inc.], product=0x0427
[Strobe XP 100], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:005:009
so I'm pretty sure the lines I added in my /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf
are correct (and not overwritten by something else, since I found them
in place later):
[usb] 0x04a7 0x0427
device libusb:005:009

2) just in case libusb didn't "like" /dev, I tried
scanimage -d=plustek:libusb:005:009
with exactly same results:
scanimage: open of device plustek:libusb:005:009 failed: Error during device I/O

3) oddly scanimage -d=genesys:libusb:005:009 fails for the "wrong" reason:
scanimage: open of device =genesys:libusb:005:009 failed: Invalid argument