[lug] LCD Monitor Refresh Rates

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Jul 30 23:15:53 MDT 2010

At the RMSEL school in Denver we're replacing old CRTs of different
types with some Acer X193W 19" monitors.

Linux thin clients are using these fine except when a program wants to
go 800x600 full screen the monitor goes blank except for a "Input not
supported."

I'm assuming this means the refresh rate the video card is producing is
not one that the monitor likes.  The monitor's manual lists four
specific refresh rates for 800x600.

Do I need to get the video card to produce exactly one of those? Or just
near it, consider it a 'custom mode' but get within some sort of range
the LCD likes.

Haven't dealt with x modelines in a while and was enjoying that.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration