[lug] anybody with non X-forwarding non-VNC remote graphical experience?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:07:34 MST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Davide Del Vento
<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just know some names: NX, SPICE, ICA...
> I do X-forwarding daily and VNC occasionally (both on the "user" side,
> tempted to say "client" but for X is "server" - I advice and push
> sysadmin on behalf of users).
> For the future, we are considering either using more VNC, or trying
> something new, such as the ones mentioned above (or other).

I use NX frequently.  It is a form of X forwarding, but much, much
faster.  It can almost fool you into thinking you are local.  There is
some configuration overhead compared to, say, VNC, but once it is set
up it is great.

It uses SSH for transport, so if your users need to be able to create ssh keys.

Michael