[lug] weird grub / x11 problem

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jan 31 21:14:06 MST 2011

Background: I'm running ubuntu 10.10. It periodically installs new
kernels and I just got a message saying that the /boot partition was
full.  So I nuked some old entries (via dpkg --purge, not simply
deleting the files in the /boot partition) and rebooted.

No X.

... go through a few iterations....

I am now consistently seeing three disturbing things.

1) The grub screen shows the 2.6.31-17 kernel and mem test but is
totally nonresponsive to the keyboard.  There is no 2.6.31-17 kernel
image still in the /boot partition.  (It had been there but was nuked.
See above.)

2) The /var/log/messages files shows that the grub loader is seeing the
actual kernel images.

3) The system is running a 2.6.31-17 kernel even though there's none
installed.

This is happening despite doing a full apt-get install --reinstall on a
later kernel and running grub-update (or is it update-grub) as root.
Repeatedly.

I can work backwards and realize that it partly works since nothing has
been changed on the /boot partition after deleting old kernel images.
There's no dname entries but the data is still on the disk.  This would
explain how an old grub loader could load a deleted kernel image.

But I have no idea why there's a disconnect between what grub is showing
and what /var/log/messages is showing in terms of recognized kernel
images, or why grub is ignoring my keyboard entirely.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Bear