[lug] weird grub / x11 problem

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Feb 2 09:20:37 MST 2011

My system gets the grub menu, it's just that the menu has no basis in
reality.  It's like the company that keeps sending you bills to the address
you lived at 5 years ago no matter how many times you tell them you've
moved.

I was finally able to boot via grub though.  I got into the shell then, in
my case, entered

$ root (hd0,0)
$ kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-27-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro
$ initrd /initrd.img-2.6.32-27-generic
$ boot

That brought up most things. I had overlooked the 'initrd' command which is
why the kernel didn't recognize my JFS partition.

Somehow the system also lost track of lvm2 (which meant a) I couldn't mount
/home and b) I was really, really, really glad that I didn't put / on a LVM
partition) but I just installed the package and rebooted.  The other problem
was that it lost my nvidia drivers.  Annoying but not catastrophic since I
wasn't bounced back to a glorious 640x480 resolution.  (In fact it looked
like my normal resolution.)

So it's annoying and I'll need a sticky note to remind me how to reboot the
system but I'm no longer having to look at new systems at newegg.