[lug] reStructuredText, PDFs and sphinx

jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 06:52:39 MST 2011

Miscellaneous other presentation software:

PerlPoint <http://search.cpan.org/dist/PerlPoint-Package/> is a lot like
BBS52, but simpler.  It's from the last millennium, so it's either mature or
archaic, depending on whether you want to pimp it or diss it.  I don't
remember details, but it's straightforward: I created a week-long course in
Romania with it.  Tom Christiansen, who comes to BLUG, has plenty of
PerlPoint knowledge.

If you're okay with PowerPoint-y stuff, but need versioning and want to
create presentations from a Linux box, Google
Presents<http://docs.google.com>gives you those.  I've found it quite
useful, but it doesn't have all the
slide-in-one-side-and-out-the-other animations of PowerPoint.

Prezi <http://prezi.com/>, which Trent Hein used at BLUG, goes the opposite
direction. It's not programming, but wow is it ever animated.

If you want no-install stuff, and like markup, your Linux box has
nroff/troff(1), which it uses to format your man pages.  If you actually
ever have nroff questions, Tom Cargill probably knows the answers.  If he
laughs at you when you ask, come ask me instead.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Davide Del Vento <
davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two (un)related questions:
>
> 1) Anybody used http://code.google.com/p/bruce-tpt/ or rst2pdf (see
> http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/stories/BBS52.html ) for your
> presentations? I'm tired of OpenOffice (or other Office clones) and
> I'd love to hear your comments!
>
> 2) I explored http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ a little bit and it feels like
> a nice and convenient way to write LaTeX books! (by the way I wrote
> two dissertations in LaTeX and I like it, but reStructuredText is so
> much better). However I don't like the default look-and-feel of the
> PDFs generated with Sphinx. I would like to "reset" it to the usual
> LaTeX default. I'm looking for how to do that, so far without any
> success - please let me know if you are or become aware on how to do
> that.
>
> Thanks and Enjoy the Weekend (TM)
> ;Dav

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>