[lug] windows guest os under eucalyptus cloud question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Mar 28 13:25:24 MDT 2011

Hi, I have a quick cloud question. I'm going to be setting up a (very) small
private cloud(*) to experiment with and would like to have a, shudder,
windows 7 instance. It's for a mixure of skills development and running an
instance of MSSQL Express for testing purposes.

So far so good -- but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can't do a
virtual install of Windows 7 home - that you have to spring for
professional. Or even ultimate? Is this true? I know - Linux forum - but I
suspect there are more host OSes on Linux than Windows.

(*) Yes, I know.  $0.02 per hour for a micro instance. What am I thinking?
 The main answer is that a major objective is to dehydrate servers that I
only use occasionally. E.g., I'm working on a side project that supports
several different databases, at least in theory. I want to have an easy way
to rehydrate a server, e.g., an Oracle XE instance on CentOS, to run some
tests against before dehydrating it for again for another few months. (Hence
the Win7/MSSQL question.)  I could have a few dozen idle instances sitting
at amazon but it's just as easy for me to keep them here and only migrate
them if I need to do some more extensive testing than a couple refurbished
quad-xeon systems can handle.

If it matters I'll probably be using Eucalyptus as the cloud manager. Gnome
has a nice virtual machine tool but I want something that plays well with
AWS and other public clouds - it should literally take only a few clicks to
migrate an instance between my home systems and out into the public cloud or
back.

Thanks,

Bear