[lug] linux desktop/laptop @ 64bit

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 07:29:19 MDT 2011

Hi,
I used to have a linux desktop with a 64-bit installation years ago
(when x86_64 were just out) and it worked fine, mostly because it
actually was a fine dual-library with lib (32bits) and lib64.
Has anybody tried a 64-bit installation nowadays? My understanding is
that they do pure 64-bit now, not mixed ones anymore (why?)
Is there any problem (the usual suspect are the proprietary binaries
such as Flash plugin for firefox, Chrome browser, etc)?
The reason for going 64-bit is to have more than 4GB of memory, but
still being a user-facing machine (not server) I'd like to have the
convenience of a fully-fledged system (yes, flash is off 99% of the
times, thanks to noscript, but that 1% is needed)
Any suggestions or recommendations welcome!
Thanks,
Davide