[lug] LUG Digest, Vol 93, Issue 29

Dean Johnson deanjohnson3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:24:21 MDT 2011

Message: 5
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:03:00 -0600
From: Anthony Foiani <tkil at scrye.com>
Subject: Re: [lug] SSHD connection delay
	<lug at lug.boulder.co.us>

Dean Johnson <deanjohnson3 at gmail.com> writes:

> One server (172.22.30.8) on a recently reconfigured network has a
> consistent 30 second delay setting up an ssh connection.
> It had been instant, like all others, before the network update. The
> server is a Fedora 8 machine running openssh-server.i386 4.7p1-2.fc8.

> The delay occurs after entering the PWD.

Could you explain that a bit better?  After entering the working
directory?  Or after entering the password?

>> I mean I type in the password and wait 30 seconds to see the prompt.

30s is traditionally a DNS issue, as you pursued.  Did the network
reconfig happen to turn on/off IPv6?  (Dunno if FC8 runs into that
problem or not...)  What actually got changed in the network reconfig?

>> No actual changes to the network configuration on machines with the
exception of pointing to different DNS servers and a new default gateway. I
replaced routing on several Linux machines with a layer-3 capable Gigabit
switch.

Is there any automounting going on?

>> Not on my login.

Does the output from "ssh -v" (or "-d", whichever it is) show any
obvious lag?  Likewise for sshd?  Ah, I see you included some below...

> On both clients and the server, I have tested resolving names and
> ipaddresses:

They seem to have come back nearly instantly; is that the experience
at the command line as well?

Are you sure that the FC8 system has the correct /etc/resolv.conf
entries, and that /etc/nsswitch.conf (if FC8 uses it?) is configured
correctly?

Do you have any stale bind / recursor config files around?

>> I will hunt for these.

Have you tried running tcpdump on packets to/from DNS ports (53) to
see if anythng fishy is going on?

> Machines:
> server 5ki-is	172.22.30.8  (Fedora 8)
> client djohnson	172.20.1.131 (Win7) and three Linux virtual machines
> client jane	172 20.1.144 (SL7)

Is the routing set up sanely, or is there possibly some discovery junk
going on (PMTU / ECN)?  Or are you just on a honkin' big subnet (what
is that, a /12?)

>> I am getting the hint from ICMP redirects. Thursday night I will try

> Jul 22 10:56:16 localhost sshd[32374]: debug1: PAM: setting PAM_TTY to
"ssh"
> Jul 22 10:56:28 localhost sshd[32375]: debug1: userauth-request for
> user dmj service ssh-connection method password

12s for that?  Or was that a pause for password entry?

>> This is where I am weak. I don't yet understand each of the steps the
pam.d/sshd file is walking through. We use only UID/password authentication,
so I know there are some steps we can omit. There have been instant logons
since these machines were set up in the lab. My new networking seems to have
introduced the 30 second delay.

> Jul 22 10:56:28 localhost sshd[32375]: debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
> Jul 22 10:56:33 localhost sshd[32374]: debug1: PAM: password
> authentication accepted for dmj

> Jul 22 10:56:33 localhost sshd[32374]: debug1: do_pam_account: called
> Jul 22 10:56:38 localhost sshd[32374]: Accepted password for dmj from
> 172.20.1.131 port 13856 ssh2

> Jul 22 10:56:38 localhost sshd[32374]: debug1: PAM: establishing
credentials
> Jul 22 10:56:43 localhost sshd[32374]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session
> opened for user dmj by (uid=0)

5s for each of those?  What class CPU is this on, and is there any NFS
mounting going on?

>> This is a dual core Intel cpu.

> Jul 22 10:56:48 localhost sshd[32376]: debug1: PAM: reinitializing
credentials
> Jul 22 10:56:53 localhost sshd[32376]: debug1: permanently_set_uid:
6133/100

And another 5s pause.

Let us know if you figure it out!

t.

>> I am hoping that the straightened out routing helps.
Thanks!

End of LUG Digest, Vol 93, Issue 29