[lug] webmail recommendations

Ben Luey bluey at iguanaworks.net
Fri Jan 6 18:18:59 MST 2012

I've been happy with SOGo (http://www.sogo.nu <http://www.sogo.nu/>) as
both an admin and a user. It provides webmail, but also shared calendar
and addressbooks that are accessible via web frontend, carddav/caldav
(iOS, android, etc), and Thunderbird via SOGo extensions. Full feature
list at http://www.sogo.nu/english/about/features.html

Admin:
Integrates nicely with 'normal' stuff -- cyrus, dovecot and other IMAP
servers, postfix, exim for SMTP, etc
Flexible db backend: mysql, postgres
Authenticate via db tables or ldap or kerberos
Standards compliant: carddav, caldav,
Support for ACL for mail and calendars & addressbooks (thunderbird
doesn't do ACL, so its only way for users to share folders, etc)
Repos for deb/rpm -- easy install / upgrade for me on debian
(Haven't personally used, but supports single sign-on / CAS and sync-ml
via Funambol)
T-bird plugins for Window, Linux (32 & 64bit), Mac

User:
Provides calendar with ability to invite people, see their free/busy
schedule
Clean AJAX webmail with drag and drop, etc that mostly looks / feels
like thunderbird. Not as fast as squirrelmail, but much prettier and
looks like it wasn't written in 1995 :)
I can use T-bird at home and at work and webmail when on the road and I
have synced contacts / addressbook. Same with mobile phone (although not
with my below-average phone).

Cons:
Thunderbird plugins only work with 3.1. Should have new plugins for
TB10, which is a long-term release of T-bird
Honestly, I personally don't know much about its security, but you can
put it behind an external CAS login, so I think security is less
important then (as long as you trust your users).
Written with GNUstep causes some weird admin-related bugs won't be
fixed. (If syntax error in config file, file gets deleted for example --
use the command-line tool for editing the config)

Ben