[lug] best way to check a new hd that might be going bad

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jan 20 07:50:34 MST 2012

> mirror in my server. i'm already noticing a very high pitched whine
> that wasn't there with the older smaller drives. it's doesn't sound

If it's a new drive, that shouldn't be happening and likely indicates that
drive will have a shorter life than one that doesn't squeal...

Can you just boot into the BIOS and then pull one drive out, then the
other, without worrying about data integrity issues?  Just so that it's
spinning...  Or does it happen more infrequently than you'd like to have it
sitting at the BIOS?

I've only gotten on drive that came with bearing noise, and I got it
replaced.  This was probably 15 years ago, and the place I bought it
said they wouldn't take it back and I'd have to call IBM (it was an
Ultrastar IIRC).  So I called IBM, they told me they could replace it but
it would be with a refurbed drive and I should have the place I bought it
replace it.  I said I had already spoken to them.  "Oh, where did you get
it? [...]  Ok, can I put you on hold for a few minutes? [...] I've got
<whoever> of <place I bought it> on the line and they'll be happy to
process your return."

Sean