[lug] Feb blug talk

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 20 16:09:44 MST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:39:01 -0700
"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 15:06 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > I'm afraid I wouldn't be a good person for that, since I use Xfce
> > (and maintain it for Fedora as well). :)
>
> Cool.  Got any tips on using it for GNOME 2 converts?  I've noticed
> switching workspaces is really slow if the destination workspace has
> lots of GNOME terminals open in it.  Ever noticed that?  Does the XFce
> terminal behave better possibly?

I've not noticed that here... but yeah, I use Terminal (Xfce's
terminal) not gnome-terminal.

...snip...

> Does xfce use pulseaudio?  I noticed Skype isn't happy with audio if I
> have a browser open that is already streaming audio.  I have to close
> the browser and restart skype to get access to the correct audio
> device. Or is that a skype issue?

Xfce does use pulse if it's installed (and it is by default).
Not sure about that skype behavior. ;)

> I have some other minor nits here:
> http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=876

Cool. Should I comment there or here?
Might also mail those to the fedora-xfce list if you get a chance. :)

Tracker is a pain, we should make sure to disable it by default.
Sadly, the weather plugin was using weather.com, who decided to change
their api to pay only. Upstream has been discussing the best next
choice.

> Some may be F16 specific, others may be xfce related.  None are show
> stoppers.  I switched to msmtp for outbound mail and that fixed the
> only show stopper of ssmtp not working.

Cool.

kevin